Now that the pages are finished, how do you get the site on the web? All you need is your username and password at your web host, along with the FTP address for your web site.
The hosts I recommend are:
Globat Hosting, GreenGeeks Hosting, and 1&1
Let's say you get a Globat account. (To show you how easy it is, I got one, and followed these steps!)
You then become the proud owner of a reallycreativename.com (Well, that's -my- domain name, but I'm sure yours will probably be "really creative" too!)
Here are the steps for getting your site online:
- Step 1: Wait for the domain name you registered to get around the Internet. It takes up to 72 hours to get around the whole world, although some people can begin accessing it after about three hours.
- Step 2: Open a recent version of Internet Explorer (Windows) or Safari (Mac). Type: ftp://firstname.lastname@example.org - mine is ftp://email@example.com.
- Step 3: Enter your password when asked.
- step 4: Open the web folder on the host (It's / on Globat,
you don't have to open an extra folder.)
If this is your first time uploading, rename the current index.html that's on the server to index_old.html by clicking it just how you would change a filename on your computer.
- Step 5: Open up the Folder that holds your HTML files and graphics on your computer. Select All the Files. Press "Copy."
- Step 6: Switch your Window to the Host FTP Window.
- Step 7: After verifying you're in the web folder, click Paste, and wait for the files to copy.
- Step 8: Open a new web browser window, type your domain name in the address/location field: in my case, http://www.reallycreativename.com/
- Step 9: If you did everything right, it'll load your new site! Enjoy your page and show all your friends!
If you prefer to use FTP with more advanced options, I recommend FileZilla or WS-FTP Pro. They're compatible
with Globat Hosting, GreenGeeks Hosting, and 1&1
Hosting. FTP is pretty much an Internet standard.
Good luck with your own web site!
You can view the site I completed in chapter 18-23 here: reallycreativename.com.